Primary schoolchildren from around the world gathered at the TSL 2018 International Schools Debates in Beau Vallon, Seychelles on 3rd July 2018 to debate solutions to help save the world’s oceans by 2030.
The Best Group debating award went to the Citizens, following a day of dynamic presentations and discussions across four groups – Governments, Businesses, Citizens and Scientists. The Citizens group included:
- Erin Lesperance (Seychelles)
- Hala Sharafeddeen (Lebanon)
- Kiara Dhamecha (UAE)
- Kyle Khoury (Lebanon)
- Reuben Furneau (Seychelles)
- and Seala Artinian (Lebanon)
The Best Individual debating award went to Chaeli-Jade Pienaar (UAE).
Individual Judges’ Commendations were awarded to:
- Liam Barbe (Seychelles)
- Lientje Rockstroh (UAE) and
- Sophie-Jaya Boots (Luxembourg)
In addition, four Student Debate Ambassadors were nominated to represent each of the four groups at a panel discussion with marine experts at the Children’s Oceans Conference on 5th July:
- Aleksandar Paskalev (Bulgaria) – representing the Scientists group
- Chaeli-Jade Pienaar (UAE) – representing the Governments group
- Kyle Khoury (Lebanon) – representing the Citizens group, and
- Sophie-Jaya Boots (Luxembourg) representing the Businesses group
See the full list of this year’s Schools Debate Winners.